This beautiful custard based dessert is one of the most intricate desserts to make. So many things can go wrong during the whole process but when done properly, a velvety creamy custard with a cracking caramel top is waiting to be devoured.
Practice your crème brulee making skills with this recipe and get ready to crave an exquisite homemade dessert for every meal.
- 600 ml heavy cream
- 6 tbsp. white sugar, divided
- 6 pcs egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Hot water
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees C.
- Pour cream into a saucepan and stir over low heat. Do not boil. Remove cream from heat to slightly cool.
- Beat egg yolks and 4 tablespoons white sugar in a mixing bowl until creamy and the sugar is completely dissolved, add vanilla extract.
- Slowly pour half of heated cream into the egg yolk mixture; beat until combined.
- Pour the egg/cream mixture into the cream in the saucepan, stir over low heat. Remove mixture from heat immediately the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon.
- Pour mixture through a strainer into a jug.
- Pour strained mixture into individual ramekins.
- Place ramekins on a deep baking tray, once the tray is in the oven pour hot water in to the tray half the height of the ramekins.
- Bake for 40 - 45 minutes, until they are set but still trembling in the middle.
- Remove from oven and cool to room temperature. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Before serving, sift sugar evenly over custard. Using a blow torch, carefully burn the sugar to create a caramel crust.
- Enjoy immediately!
For wholesome meals with amazing beach view and pool side bar, head down to Boardwalk. Open from 11.00 – 23.00.