Pizza is one of Italia’s best gifts to the world. The round yeasty thin bread topped with tomato sauce and melted cheese have become a beloved staple all over the world. Topping varieties have been added, even localized flavors such as Rendang Pizza or Huevos Rancheros Pizza, and depending where you are in the world the thickness of the crust will be different.
Traditional pizza is made in a wood fired oven that gives the dough a nice smoky flavor with a nice char on the crust, nowadays many restaurants or home cooks use a regular oven and are still able to produce good quality pizza.
Another crucial factor that makes a good pizza is the dough. A nice yeasty dough that rises up slightly as it cooks in the oven. The perfect dough will hold the sauce and the topping perfectly when the pizza is sliced.
To recreate this great Italian gift, we are sharing a simple pizza dough recipe that you can use at home.
- 250 Gr All Purpose Flour
- 3 Gr Instant Yeast
- 150 Ml Warm Water
- 30 Ml Olive oil
- 3 Gr Sugar
- Pinch of Salt
- Mix warm water, olive oil, sugar and yeast in a measuring cup or a bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- In a clean bowl, sift the flour and salt.
- For a whole wheat pizza dough, replace half of the All Purpose Flour with Whole Wheat Flour.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry mix and slowly pour in the yeast mixture.
- Mix well until it forms a dough ball.
- Flour a clean surface and transfer the dough ball onto the surface.
- Knead the dough until it is well mixed and has become elastic and slightly sticky. If the dough is too wet do not hesitate to add a bit of flour.
- Put in a clean bowl, Brush with olive oil and cover with plastic wrap, set aside on a warm spot for at least 45 minutes.
- This dough will make 2 regular size thin crust pizza or 1 thick crust pizza.
- To cook, spread the dough onto a pizza pan, add your sauce and preferred topping and cook in a preheated oven at 240 C for 20 minutes.
- This simple pizza dough will give you the freedom to experiment on toppings and sauces!
Visit Tempio to enjoy Italian style thin crust pizza with classic toppings. Open for lunch and dinner 11.00 to 23.00.