B is for Burrito!
For Mexican and the Tex-Mex food lover, Burrito is one of the main options on a menu, next to Tacos. Unlike taco, which is only folded around the filling, burrito is a large rolled up flour tortilla typically filled with meat and refried beans. The rolled up tortilla is grilled until it is golden brown and holds its cylinder shape. In the USA, a burrito is not only filled with refried beans and meat, vendors would add Mexican style rice, cheese, guacamole and lettuce to bulk the burrito up.
The word “burrito” means “little donkey”, a diminutive form of the word “burro” that means “donkey”. In
Mexico, donkeys were commonly used
as a mode of transportation, carrying bedrolls and packs similar to a burrito,
To satisfy burrito cravings, a simple and easy Chicken and Beans Burrito can come a long way.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 100 Gr corn kernels
- 50 Gr diced red onion
- 100 Gr black beans
- 150 Gr cooked Long-grain rice
- 200 Gr cooked, shredded chicken
- 100 Gr shredded Cheddar cheese
- ½ tsp. ground pepper
- 6 flour tortillas
- 5 Gr cilantro leaves
- Sour cream
- Heat a stovetop griddle or grill pan over medium heat
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; add corn and onion and cook 4 minutes, or until corn is crisp-tender. Stir in beans, rice, and salsa. Stir with a large spoon to incorporate salsa, and cook until rice is just heated through.
- In a medium bowl, toss chicken, cheese, and pepper. Warm tortillas on stove-top.
- To assemble burritos, place the rice mixture in a mound in center of each warm tortilla. Top with the chicken mixture and some cilantro leaves. Fold in sides of tortilla, then roll tightly into a burrito.
- Lightly coat burritos with cooking oil. Place on griddle, cook 3 to 4 minutes, turning once, until burritos are lightly toasted and crisp. Cut in half. Serve with garnish.
Up for a challenge? Stop by at Aribar for 2 Kg Burrito Challenge! Check www.aribar-bali.com for details!
Come to Aribar for a night of dancing and great Mexican food. Opens daily from 11.00 – 23.00