Meat Pie is one of Australia and New Zealand’s classic dish. Every household has their own mum’s recipe, sworn to be the best beef pie in the continent. A great beef pie holds its shape, flaky golden brown crust with beef in thick flavorful gravy.
In 1891, pie manufacturer Sargent produced their first meat pie and soon after, other pie manufacturers followed suit. Meat Pies are so popular in Australia and New Zealand, in 2017 Australians eat 270 million pies and New Zealander eat 66 million pies.
This simple recipe of Meat Pies has aromatic rosemary in it to give more depth to the gravy.
- 800 grams beef, top side cut, cut into 2 cm cube
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely hopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons All Purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 400 milliliter beef stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 sheets of pie crust dough
- 2 sheets of frozen puff pastry sheet
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- Tomato sauce, to serve
- Preheat heavy bottom pan, add oil and cook the beef until golden brown on each side. Add onion and rosemary cook until the onion is translucent and the rosemary release the aroma. Once all is cook and the garlic last to prevent burning.
- Lower the heat and add tomato paste to the pan. Mix well and sprinkle the flour making sure no flour clumps.
- Add stock gradually and scraping the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Let simmer for 1 hour or until the beef is fork tender. Let cool.
- Preheat oven at 2200 C
- Line your individual pie tins with the pie crust dough. Spoon the cooled beef and gravy into the pie, cover with puff pastry. Seal the edges with a fork and cut a cross on the top to allow steam to come out.
- Brush the top of the puff pastry with egg wash and bake for 30 minutes or until it is golden brown and puffed up.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Don’t miss out Meat Pie Promo at KaBar, Buy 2 Get 1 Free all this month.